Thursday, October 13, 2011


Midriff \MID-irf\ , noun;
1. The middle part of the body, between the chest and the waist

Since we were on the topic of muffin tops yesterday, it's only natural to move on to midriffs today. Right?

I was sort of surprised to see that midriff is actually a pretty old word in English. It comes from Old English midhrif, which is a compound word from mid + hirf ("mid" + "belly"). Hrif derives from Proto-Germanic *hrefiz-, which comes from Proto-Indo-European *kwrep- ("bodfy, form, appearance"). Notice the similarity between that PIE word and corporeal, corpse, etc? Good eye, they also derive from *kwrep-.

No comments:

Post a Comment